I have a great idea for an app and wanted to get everyone's input on 4
different technical aspects of it.

Some of you might be familiar with the iPhone musical app where you
can "play" it like a flute/ocarina.  You blow into the mic and use
multi-touch to press a combination of holes to play different sounds.

I'm thinking about writing a *similar* app for Android, except it's a
*trumpet* instead of a flute.  My idea is:
* The screen shows three circles in a line, which represent the three
trumpet valves.
* Touching a circle represents holding down a valve.
* Blowing into the mic represents blowing into the trumpet.
* Note: On a "real" trumpet, the note pitch depends not only on the
valve combination, but also on the lip vibrations.  (Otherwise there
would only be 7-8 possible notes.)
* I'm thinking that the angle (elevation) of the phone could represent
different pitches.  So, if you elevate the phone up, you'll play a
higher note, for example.

The 4 technical aspects that I'd like to verify are:

1. What is the most sensible way to detect blowing into the
microphone?  My current plan is to do AudioRecord.read() and manually
examine the audio buffer data to check for sufficiently high amplitude
(volume).  I think this will be pretty easy, but just wanted to check
whether there's another better way to do this.

2. Is it possible to record and play at the same time?  I need to
record blowing into the mic and playing sound at the same time.

3. For checking elevation angle, I assume I should use SensorManager.
I assume that I want to use getInclination(), but I think I might also
need getRotationMatrix() or getOrientation().  Seems pretty easy, but
does anyone know of any examples I could look at?

4. For detecting which valves are pressed down, I assume that it's
feasible to use the multi-touch feature.  However, I have a G1 phone.
Is it possible to get multi-touch to work with the G1 phone somehow?
(This question probably deserves its own thread!)

I'm not going to ask about how to program multi-touch because there's
a good discussion of the technical features at:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/962b1a27a31e450d

Anyway, your input is highly welcome, as well as any other suggestions
you might have for this app.  (By the way, I might do other
instruments too, besides, trumpet, but I figure that if I can get
trumpet to work, I can get any other instrument to work.)