westmeadboy wrote:
> I have an app which has a download size of about 7MB and an installed/
> configured size of about 25MB.
>
> So far, I've been handling this by using the SD card for the baulk of
> the data. This works fine although the installation process is a
> little cumbersome.
>
> I notice the smallest of the Archos 5 tablets is 8GB.

Really? I thought my 32GB flash one was the smallest. Maybe that's just
the smallest I could find over here.

> Can someone confirm whether this is all part of the internal memory?
> In other words, can /data/data/com.mypackage fill this memory
> (potentially).

It is not. At least not with how we would probably use the term.

System storage on my ARCHOS is 114MB right now. I have a bunch of apps
installed, but most are tiny book samples.

"Internal storage" is 30GB, of which about 20.5GB are presently
available, after I loaded some content on.

And, of course, while writing this email, I got another lovely
spontaneous reboot of the device...

> If so, does this mean there is a good chance that
> getExternalStorageDirectory() will quite often return null??? -
> because people will have less need to use an external SD card...

I haven't tried that yet, though I will make a point to do so next week.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android App Developer Training: http://commonsware.com/training