One more question on this - it seems like if we use a header or footer
view - then our activity can not add any other views? Example:

 <LinearLayout>
   <ListView> // with header and footer views.
 </LinearLayout>

the above works perfectly with focus getting routed correctly etc. The
focus acts strangely in this case though:

  <LinearLayout>
    <LinearLayout>
      <Button>
    </LinearLayout>
    <ListView>
  </LinearLayout>

if the list view has focusable items - then the focus jumps back up to
the top LinearLayout-button after hitting down key again. This is kind
of strange, should this be happening? To explain further:

  <LinearLayout>
    <LinearLayout>
      <Button>
    </LinearLayout>
    <ListView>
      // listview is composed of:
      TextView
      TextView
      Button
      TextView
    </ListView>
  </LinearLayout>

so focus is fine up until it hits the row with the Button. The button
gets highlighted (since itemsCanFocus=true), but then hitting the down
arrow key again jumps focus up to the top linear layout button,
instead of continuing focus to the next row of the ListView. Normally
I could just use a header view instead, but is there an undocumented
rule in which we cannot add other views to our layout if using a
ListView with setItemsCanFocus=true?

Thanks