Mark Murphy wrote:
>> Mark, I may have found the problem, but not sure how I can fix it. The
>> log msg for the responseBody is below. Should it be the UTF_8 param?
>> thanks
>> {"hey": "guy","anumber": 243,"anobject": {"whoa":
>> "nuts","anarray": [1,2,"thr<h1>ee"], "more":"stuff"},"awesome":
>> true,"bogus": false,"meaning": null,
>> "japanese":"明日㠌Ã
>> £Â ‚る。", "link": "http://jsonview.com";,
>> "notLink": "http://
>> jsonview.com is great"}
>
> Well, the stuff before the opening { is definitely not legal JSON. I'm no
> UTF-8 expert, but I'll be somewhat surprised if there's an encoding that
> justifies a bunch of extra characters like that at the front of the text.

Well, "A" characters with a bit of diacritical on top and a seemingly
random character after it is petty typical for incorrect use of UTF-8 in
my experience.

I'd suggest that you start by removing the UTF parameters and see what
happens. I use UTF-8 characters in JSON calls for one of my apps and for
me it works perfectly by just encoding the query with UTF-8. However, in
my case I explained very carefully what I wanted from the server people
- you may not have that advantage... Still, if you capture the stream
content you should be able to massage it into shape with some effort.

My JSON lookup handler takes a sanity peek at the first character that
is returned from the call - if it is neither '[' nor '{' I consider it a
failure.

                Good luck / Jonas

PS. Yes, the app in question is Prisjakt that won the Swedish Android
Developer Competition '09. Now ,if only the prizes had been of the same
magnitude as in ADC1/2... ;-)