The only form of anti-piracy that has any real chance of working for a
popular app is SaaS (Software as a Service).  If the app can run
entirely on the phone then the app can be pirated.

Now some may say, "Well MyHelloWorld hasn't been pirated!" but that's
only because it hasn't reached the critical mass (in user base) to
have the pirates care enough to pirate it.  The critical mass required
for a program to be pirated increases as you put in more security
measures but every security measure will be cracked once critical mass
is reached.  This means that unless you don't intend for your app to
be a top seller (which seems to be selling yourself short unless you
are targeting a niche market purposefully) then why waste the
development time coding in all sorts of crazy anti-piracy schemes that
will get cracked if your software ends up actually being popular?  You
could instead devote that development time to adding features that
will generate more sales instead.

This doesn't even take into consideration the poor user experience and
expensive support costs that anti-piracy measures entail.  Some
security measures require the user to do something extra to get the
app working (like entering a CD-Key); if I ran into this on the
Android Market I would uninstall the app, get a refund and find a
competing product.  Other security measures try to hide from the user
but then you have to deal with support costs or sale losses to deal
with problems they cause; if I *buy* an app and install it on my
rooted phone (because I want to install more than 50MB of apps at a
time) and then it calls me a pirate what do you think I am going to
do?  First thing, get a refund.  Second thing, go pirate a cracked
copy.