Would be great if there was a way to embed the rating system within an
app. The number of ratings would rocket!

Going back to the point about knowing which device was behind the
rating, I totally agree.

At the moment a rating is tied to a user account. Wouldn't it be good
if a rating was tied to a user account-device combination.

This way each app would appear in the Market with two ratings:

1. A user average - a user with multiple ratings (because of multiple
devices) would have their ratings averaged and then all those averages
are averaged.
2. A device average - the average for the device you are using to
access the market.

An app might have 5-stars for the Droid, and 1-star for the Tattoo
(maybe some critical bug).

Users don't care if an app doesn't run well on other devices.