I would like to know how to execute code before exiting application.

My application is composed of several activities. When the user starts
the application (from the launcher menu or from a notification in the
status bar), he goes in an InitActivity where I process some
initializations. From user experience, application always restarts.

One of these initializations is to init a network manager and start a
thread that periodically sends a network request to notify a server
that application is active.

I need to process some end operations, like stopping this thread when
user quits application, for example by pressing the HOME key or BACK
key when he's in the root activity.

However, when the user press the HOME key, application is still
running in background.

Here are my questions :

Q1 : is it possible to execute code when exiting application (I see
the onTerminate() method of the class Application but it seems not to
be always called) ?

Q2 : Is it possible to force application exit (activity method finish
() only destroy the current activity, not the application) ?

Q3 : Is it possible to handle HOME key press (onKeyDown() is not
called when this button is pushed) ?

Thanks for your help.