There seems to be a family of problems here, not necessarily related
other than the symptom: Some apps are not visible from some handsets.

For Hero, Eris, and other 1.5 phones, the problem is copy protection.
Documented here:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/fd299f64638391e1

For Tattoo, the problem is requesting the CAMERA permission.
Documented here:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/thread/bda3d385db2b44dc

For Droid, AFAIK no specific problem has been identified. Please chime
in if you know otherwise.

Taken together, these issues could easily mean that a developer is
losing 25-75% of app sales, but there's nobody on this forum
representing the Market team, so there's no official acknowledgement
of the problem.

String