I currently have a TabHost with 3 tabs.  The content of each tab is an
activity.  The first and second tab make HTTP connections.  The first
tab still uses the UI thread (which i'm changing) so it would explain
the slow orientation change since it's creating a fresh activity and
making all those connections again.  What I don't understand is why if
I am on say Tab 3 which makes no connections at all does changing the
orientation take such a long time (up to 5 seconds).

In playing around with the TabWidget I noticed something that may be
related.

So let's say we have an activity with a TabHost, with Activities as
content:

    super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);

    mTabHost = getTabHost();

    mTabHost.addTab(mTabHost.newTabSpec("tab_test1").setIndicator("TAB
1").setContent(new Intent(this,   Activity1.class)));
    mTabHost.addTab(mTabHost.newTabSpec("tab_test2").setIndicator("TAB
2").setContent(new Intent(this, Activity2.class)));
    mTabHost.addTab(mTabHost.newTabSpec("tab_test3").setIndicator("TAB
3").setContent(new Intent(this, Activity3.class)));
}

Activity 1, 2, and 3 simply Toast a message that says which activity
they are. Activity 2 says "I am Activity 2"

If I am in Tab 1 and change orientation I will get the message for
just Activity 1 as expected, however if I am in Tab 2 or Tab 3 and
change the orientation I will first get a message from Activity 1 and
then 2 or 3 depending on which I'm in.

Why does this happen? Is there a better way to use tabs with
activities that I've overlooked?

Thanks