Start the activity with startActivityForResult.  Then handle the returned
data in onActivityResult.
The source below is how I do it.  There should be enough here to get the
photo data.
Carmen
--
Carmen
http://www.twitter.com/CarmenDelessio

Call the Intent somewhere in your activity using startActivityForResult:
                Intent i = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_GET_CONTENT);
                   i.setType("image/*");
                startActivityForResult(i,4); // activity id is 4

// handle the activity
// look at documentation for AssetFileDescriptor.  That is how I ultimately
got the photo
//
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/content/res/AssetFileDescriptor.html

   protected void  onActivityResult  (int requestCode, int resultCode,
Intent data){

             if (requestCode==4){  grab the result
                 if (resultCode == RESULT_OK) {
                     try {
                     AssetFileDescriptor thePhoto =
getContentResolver().openAssetFileDescriptor(data.getData(), "r");

                     }
                 }
                 if (resultCode == RESULT_CANCELED) {

                 }