I'm having this strange issue where upon exiting a subactivity that is
translucent (android:theme="@android:style/Theme.Translucent" ) the
onStop() method doesn't appear to be called.

I have a TimerTask that runs and is supposed to be terminated when the
subactivity ends in the onStop() method, but I'm instead left with an
orphaned thread running in the background.  It go particularly bad
when I ran the subactivity several times.  When I revert to no theme,
the onStop() method is called and the activity behaves properly.

Is there something I missed about how Translucent activities'
lifecycles differ from standard activities?