Diane and Mark either I do not understand something, or I am not being
understood.

If I use  android.R.drawable.ic_menu_home for "Home" menu icon, it
will _automatically_ change whenever this icon is updated. Isn't it?
If yes then whenever manufacturers change this icon or as you said
Diane, the platform evolves, the icon will (again) automatically
change without any need to change my application. If I wanted to use
those icons and copied then they will stay the same forever unless I
change them.

Does that make more sense now?

Regards,
Max.