I have a motion listener to detect finger down, finger drag, and
finger up.  I start my action at finger down and finish my action at
finger up.  When the action is finished, I store it in a stack for
allowing undo.  My problem is that if I don't get a finger up event, I
can't finish my action to add it to the stack for undo.

How can I detect that the user's finger has left the screen?

I tried using the emulator to see if getEdgeFlags() ever returned
anything useful, and the result was always 0.

Basically, if a finger leaves the screen, then nothing is touching the
screen anymore and I would like to detect that as a finger up event.
How can I do this?