To follow up on my own question, heres how I did it.

I went from a service to an IntentService and in the onHandleIntent
(Intent intent) I handle the update requests.

To get the individual id's I put them as an extra in the intent in the
onRecieve() method in the widget, then fire them off to the
IntentService with context.startService(i).  Everything is working
perfectly now.

-theSmith