My 1.6 app works fine in both portrait and landscape modes on the
default HVGA device. I'm now trying to support it on QVGA devices and
am encountering build-time errors I don't understand.

In my res/drawable-ldpi directory I have:

startstopin.png
startstopout.png

and a selector file

startstopbuttonimageselector.xml

which contains:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
 <selector xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";>
     <item android:state_pressed="true"
           android:drawable="@drawable-ldpi/startstopin" /> <!--
pressed -->
     <item android:drawable="@drawable-ldpi/startstopout" /> <!--
default -->
 </selector>

I've 'fixed project properties', and done a 'clean' build, to no
avail. The error I get is:

ERROR Error: No resource found that matches the given name (at
'drawable' with value '@drawable-ldpi/startstopin').
 ERROR Error: No resource found that matches the given name (at
'drawable' with value '@drawable-ldpi/startstopout').

I've tried adding a layout file in res/layout-small that explicitly
references this selector file, but this triggers a similar build error
and fails to address the original problem:

ERROR Error: No resource found that matches the given name (at 'src'
with value '@drawable-ldpi/startstopbuttonimageselector').

Any insight into this problem would be greatly appreciated.