If the move event had the pointer index encoded in it, then we would need to
deliver separate events for each pointer, which is a lot less efficient and
I think ultimately a lot harder to deal with (vs. having all of the data
available in one event).

Anyway, this is really not an issue.  Please read Andy McFadden's blog post
on using newer API while being compatible with older platforms.  You'll
probably want to follow the latter part, where you have a separate class in
your app that calls the new APIs and you make sure to not try to use on
older platforms.

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2009/04/backward-compatibility-for-android.html