> I wanted to ask a question regarding the Alarm Manager. I have a
> requirements of setting long running timers in my application. The minimum
> duration for my timer is 1 hour...and the maximum may be for 4-5 days.
> This
> timer is supposed to run in the background, and when it fires/expires, i
> have to show something on the GUI.

Your "GUI" is probably not running when the alarm will go off.

> What is the best approach for scheduling such long running timers ?
>
> Should i make use of the Alarm Manager ? Or will it be an overkill ?

AlarmManager is the only viable choice for something of that duration.

> I am thinking of using a simple Java TimerTask as an alternative to
> setting
> an alarm:
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/util/TimerTask.html.

That will only work if the user is keeping your application running all of
the time, and that is unlikely to be the case.

> But i am not sure what will happen to the timer task if the device went to
> sleep while the task was running.

TimerTask does not wake up the device.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)