ok i thought I would try the ApiDemo that comes with android.

what path should I put in here? Is "/sdcard/video2.mpg" correct as
that is where I have placed video2.mpg. However even ApiDemo doesn't
play the video it comes up with the same error.

W/MediaPlayer(  750): info/warning (1, 26)
E/PlayerDriver(   31): Command PLAYER_SET_DATA_SOURCE completed with
an error or info PVMFErrNotSupported
E/MediaPlayer(  750): error (1, -4)
E/MediaPlayerDemo(  750): error: Prepare failed.: status=0x1
E/MediaPlayerDemo(  750): java.io.IOException: Prepare failed.:
status=0x1
E/MediaPlayerDemo(  750):       at android.media.MediaPlayer.prepare(Native
Method)
E/MediaPlayerDemo(  750):       at
com.example.android.apis.media.MediaPlayerDemo_Video.playVideo
(MediaPlayerDemo_Video.java:125)
E/MediaPlayerDemo(  750):       at
com.example.android.apis.media.MediaPlayerDemo_Video.surfaceCreated
(MediaPlayerDemo_Video.java:181)
E/MediaPlayerDemo(  750):       at android.view.SurfaceView.updateWindow
(SurfaceView.java:454)
E/MediaPlayerDemo(  750):       at android.view.SurfaceView.dispatchDraw
(SurfaceView.java:287)
E/MediaPlayerDemo(  750):       at android.view.ViewGroup.drawChild
(ViewGroup.java:1524)
E/MediaPlayerDemo(  750):       at android.view.ViewGroup.dispatchDraw
(ViewGroup.java:1256)

                    /*
                     * TODO: Set the path variable to a local media
file path.
                     */
                    path = "/sdcard/video2.mpg";
                    if (path == "") {
                        // Tell the user to provide a media file URL.
                        Toast
                                .makeText(
                                        MediaPlayerDemo_Video.this,
                                        "Please edit