I can't speak as to why Android is putting on Hammer pants and going back to
the 90's with OpenGL 1.0.

In regards to resources, we always have the wonderful official OpenGL 1.0
reference...oh, wait...Khronos says that OpenGL 1.0 reference is
obsolete...hmmm....let's see....oh, I can direct you to the OpenGL 1.1
reference: http://www.khronos.org/opengles/sdk/1.1/docs/man/

On second thought, I just remembered that Android only supports v1.0 and
some basic 1.1 support that is NOT COMPLETE (
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/graphics/opengl.html).  So, it
looks like we are stuck in the stone ages until Google and Android get back
into the 21st century.

In the meantime, why don't we head to the landfill and get some turn of the
century phones, download the BREW SDK and get to work!

Justin