@Dianne,

We're using the Android API in a way completely consistent with the
documentation. If device OEM's decide not to implement some of the API, we
will have to make adjustments, as described in my post above.

I think concerns over fragmentation are more about devices with proprietary,
non-standard APIs, and not so much with OEMs choosing not to implement some
of the API. Eventually, the parts of the API that have been ignored by OEMs
will have to be deprecated, or updated with comments like "Not Supported on
Samsung Devices," or "Returns a constant value on Motorola devices," or
something like that.

In any case, no type of fragmentation would occur if everybody stuck to the
published API.

Finally, it is our hope that the number of pre-2.0 devices released will
start to drop, and the number of 2.0+ devices will increase, such that we
won't have to be making adjustments for long :-)

Scott
SoftwareForMe.com