Hi,

We need to convert XML messages to a stream or string which can then be sent
via sockets. However, Android does not support the standard javax classes that
are used to convert a DOM XML object to a stream. Besides, as far as I know,
DOM parser reads all of the XML document into the memory before allowing to use
the DOM APIs to transverse the XML tree in order to retrieve the data you want.
This may be simpler than the SAX-based implementations, however DOM generally
consumes more memory as everything is read into the memory first although this
won't effect the performance on a mobile device much, unless the size of the
XML document is large.

On the other hand, using SAX or XML pull parser may be better options due to
the extra utilities provided for them. XML PullParser works similarly to StAX
which is also not supported by the Android platform. This class seems to allow
your application code to pull or seek events from the parser, as opposed to the
SAX parser which automatically pushes events to the handler. You can also set a
flag to identify when you reach the end of the content that you are interested
in. This lets you halt the reading of the XML document early, as you know that
the code will not care about the rest of the document. This can be very useful,
especially if you only need a small portion of the XML document being accessed.
That means you can reduce the parsing time by stopping the parsing as soon as
possible especially when the size of the XML document is large.

I was wondering whether anybody, who has experience using the XmlPullParser
class or others on the Android platform, has anything to say about its
efficiency, well-known problems if any, suggestions for a better alternative,
links for sample code etc.

Cheers,

Emre