Okay, I found a 3rd party application that actually uses the light
sensor (the app is called Proximity Sensor), and it works just fine on
my HTC Hero.

This must mean that I am not dong something right in the procedure
described above.

As far as I read the SDK reference, I see that I need to pass a Sensor
object to the registerLIstener method of the SensorManager, in order
to register my implementation of the SensorEventListener. The only way
I found to get the required Sensor object is by using the
getSensorList() method - as described above.

Before this poor little thread turns into a mono-drama, someone please
provide me with some insight here. Thanks.