I haven't run into anything like that myself. I do often run into
issues that can cause the data to be incorrectly offset or otherwise
messed up, however, which might look similar.

The position of the buffer is important when you call glVertexPointer,
for example. So if the way you filled the buffer changed the position,
it has to be rewound or otherwise set back to where you want it before
you call glVertexPointer.

Another rough one was that in Android 1.5 putting an array into a
buffer using a non-zero offset into the array to start from doesn't
work. Works in later versions of Android, however.

Another issue is that the way the glVertexPointer call works is that
it doesn't consume the actual data. It is just setting the pointer to
the data. So changing the data before your other calls actually cause
it be used later on would cause trouble.