I've searched the forums and docs without too must effect, and feel
like a total newb, but the documentation just doesnt seem to cover my
question. Can you customize the background size within an ImageView? I
dont wish to scale the ImageView, I wish for the image view to stay at
a fixed size/ratio and manipulate the contents of the view with
different images or scaling of images.

I.e if i wish to overlay two image views on top of one another but
manipulate the background within the fixed size set by the layout.
Tried using a ShapeDrawable but ran into issues as any image view
behind the shape (within the same bounds) is always deleted when
writing to the canvas.

What is the better way to do this? A basic example:

There are two images with alpha that need to be blended together to
form an interface. One is larger than the other, say a box, and the
other is a smaller box. Based on user input you wanted the smaller box
to grow to the size of the bigger box (not using an animation, less
frequency of changes) while maintaining alignment.