But what if you're using a custom ArrayAdapter? Also, I *think*
AsyncTask is meant for one shot type tasks. A user of this app may
update this listview multiple times.

But here is something I've discovered: if I change the orientation of
the screen, the list is properly updated. Question: how can I mimic
that screen orientation change? What is actually happening when you
flip the phone? It's restarting that activity right?

Another question (I'm hitting this problem from multiple angles), how
do you tell is a thread has ended? If I can tell when the thread ends
I can do this listview update in the main thread -- which I know
works.

Ken