I need to  create a slightly modified version of one of the native
Android apps (to be precise: of packages/apps/Mms).

For the sake of this discussion, please ignore the fact that this is a
bad thing to do; that it will be version-dependent and fragile; etc.
I'm aware of these issues and need to ignore them for the now.

I simply want to build a copy of the app that I can install on a
device.

My first attempt was to copy the code into my standard Eclipse
environment. This might work eventually, but I hit a huge spiral of
dependencies... each time I copied code, it would bring in
dependencies which forced me to copy more system code bringing in more
dependencies.

Second attempt was to build within the OS source framework (lunch,
mmm, etc).  I copied the Mms tree and made the obvious changes to
package name, etc., to create a duplicate of the app.

This installed and mostly runs!

But, I am getting crashes in a couple of cases; looks like static
lookup is failing on some system methods.

The one I've seen so far is probably a red herring... for silly
temporary reasons, I built from the 1.5 sources and tested on a 1.6
device. I'll be testing on the correct device in a day or two.

But, before I dive too deeply down this rat-hole of ugly kludging....
1) Will this really work? Or will I just hit another known trap soon?
2) Is this the best/only way to rebuild a system app?

Thanks,
David