I just got this to work yesterday, followed the following post:

http://www.reigndesign.com/blog/using-your-own-sqlite-database-in-android-applications/

I was able to write a function that lets me overwrite the existing
database used by the app, export the existing database to the SD card
and import the exported database to the app.  The database gets placed
in the asset's folder and gets copied into the /data/data/
yourpackagename/databases folder when you run createDatabase().

Hope this helps.