Hi everyone,
I was able to solve this issue, so thought better update everyone,
this might help others.

Mistake I was making was:
I had to call setState(marker, stateBitset) in the getMarker(int
stateBitset) method of OverlayItem., otherwise it does not work.

StateListDrawable is mazing way of changing icon/look and feel of any
component depending upon its state :)

Special thanks to TreKing for the help.

Regards,
Aamir Yaseen