I agree it all depends on if your app makes money. If they see something
that makes money they will come after you if you violate a Patent. In my
case I did my homework and found out now before my app goes out that someone
holds a patent on any case when someone takes any graphic of any image that
represents a head and places it on graphic of anything that represents a
body. Like JibJab does. If you look at the legal part of their JibJab's web
site they have to pay pixfusion a license fee (at the very bottom).

http://sendables.jibjab.com/about/legal

Which is what my app is going to do (take a head and place it on a body).

I wrote pixfusion two emails asking about licenses fee's and what I was
developing but I never heard back. So I'll keep the emails that I wrote and
if (by chance) my app does get a little popular and I do hear from them then
I will have proof that I tried contacting them and I was proactive.

For any developers out there reading this do a little "googling" on any
major features of your app and just aware that there are MANY patents out
there. Where if your app takes off you could get an email from some BS
company saying you have to pay them licenses fees and/or a cease and desist
order like K05tik got.

There is nothing worse for a developer then spending hours of time
developing and coding something just to find out that they have to stop
publishing it.

Thanks
-Chris