Right now I have a class that extends LinearLayout and builds the view
inside of the constructor using a series of addViews.

I wanted to move this into an XML file, so I have the same view
defined there.  My problem is that I can't figure out how to load the
XML file in the constructor of the derived class.  I looked up the
LayoutInflater stuff, but I wasn't entirely sure how to use it in that
context.  Do I need to call addView() with the result of the
LayoutInflater?

Is this even possible?

The other issue is that the context object that is passed in doesn't
have the LayoutInflater methods... I'm not sure if I need an instance
of Activity to do that.

I hope this is clear.. thanks!