This is what I am doing:

Activity SplashScreen is the launching activity for my app.  It sends
a request to my server and gets back a user data it then uses to
populate a user object which is a static object.  Once it has that it
calls the MyMapView activity and finishes itself.

A force close occurs when I hit the home button and then open up
enough other apps so that Android kills MyMapView to get more
resources.  Now when I open my app again it tries to start MyMapView
and bypasses SplashScreen.  There is no user object so I get null
pointer exceptions.

I have tried to Override the onSaveInstanceState and
OnRestoreInstanceState but it seems that those are not available when
Android kills the activity.

I also tried android:finishOnTaskLaunch with the SplashScreen (maybe
this should be put on MyMapView but the article I read said different)
and that seems to have no effect.

What I would like is for the activity to not restart after Android has
killed it.  What can I do about this?

Thanks,
Jake