Nevermind, I figured it out myself after debugging my code. removeView
only removes the View if it's the exact same View as the one stored in
the ViewGroup, i.e. it must be located at the same address. Using
findViewById finds my View, but it stores a copy of it at another
address, and then equals() (which I assume is being used) returns
false, even if it's the same object. So I used the _2D and _3D views
instead of findViewById and it works perfectly now.