I kind of do something like this.  I set a flag to false onResume and
then set it true if the back button is hit.  onPause, if that flag is
true, I know it's because my user is backing out and I can respond in
a certain way (knowing that we'll be going back to a previous
activity).  The previous activity won't know anything about this,
though.  I use a static music manager and that is how I handle inter-
menu game music.

What's your specific need?  Maybe I can help out more then.