I am the developer of Gentle Alarm and I can confirm that several
phones have issues with the sleep mode and non-firing alarms.
Unfortunately, there is no sure-fire way to reproduce this so I can't
tell you do A, then B, and the alarm won't ring. It typically happens
though if the device has been idle for a longer period of time after
the screen goes off. If you have lots of background activity happening
(checking email every 30min or so), you may never see this problem.

You can also prevent this problem if you keep the phone docked or on a
charger. The alarm will then ring reliably.

I examined a bunch of log files and they all show the same thing: the
device goes into some deep-sleep mode where logcat show absolutely no
activity for hours until the display is manually turned on. At that
point, all the notification events come streaming in.