OK, consider these scenarios.

Let's say you have a popular app, but someone doesn't like you --
perhaps a competitor, or someone with some religious or political
objection to your content, or something.

So they release an app that does something that gets people to
download it -- but also secretly, every time your app launches, pops
up a fake Force Quit dialog that indicates your app crashed. Now tons
of people report this on the market in comments, and your ratings and
sales plummet.

Or, more seriously, let's say you have an account with Chase
Manhatten, BofA, Wells Fargo, Fidelity or other big banking entities
with their own apps.

Now, when you launch, this rogue app pops up a password dialog that
looks like the real one, records it, sends it to a server somewhere,
while giving you an error asking you to retry entering your password.
When you dismiss, the real app appears behind, and you're not aware of
a problem -- until your funds have disappeared sometime later.

We may have such vulnerabilities right now; I don't know. But it's
certainly not a completely safe operation to observe what other
applications are doing.