Thanks for your reply.

I have the permission (it works on a short timer), and the WakeLock
(as seen at the link in the OP).

Perhaps I'm using the lock incorrectly? Could anyone confirm? Most of
the lock code is here:
http://github.com/commonsguy/cw-advandroid/blob/master/SystemServices/Alarm/src/com/commonsware/android/syssvc/alarm/WakefulIntentService.java

Thanks again.