> I can't see why your default ringtone is reset on each reboot.
> Did tou try TapSound freely available on Android Market ?
> The second tab simply set your ringtone from any .mp3 on your sdcard.

I don't know why this happens, either. The ringtone I use is one of
the standard ones which comes with Android, not a self-installed mp3
on the sdcard. It's called "Digital Phone". I set it in Settings ->
Sound and Display -> Phone ringtone, and it remains in effect until I
reboot, at which time it always gets reset to a different ringtone.

Actually, the Notification ringtone also gets reset upon reboot, and
the phone volume always gets set to silent. Every time I reboot, I
have to reset the phone and notification ringtones, as well as raising
the volume back to an audible level again.

Some day I might figure out why this happens. But in the mean time, I
still want to know how to reset the default ringtones via an
application, without using the ringtone picker or any other human
interaction. This way, I can use one of the "Locale" plugins to run my
wished-for ringtone-setting app every time the phone reboots. And I'd
also like my desired app to reset the volume to the max level,
although I'll work on that another time.

Is there no way to set the default ringtones programmatically, without
using the ringtone picker?