Hey Russell,

Java is the language that you use to write Android applications, C++
is the language when want to write low level additions to the OS
(Which is Linux based), but that is for serious hard core users.

I would suggest getting a book on Java 6 and learning that first.
Then after that, purchase the subscription from the excellent Mark
Murphy. His guides are not only helpful, but rather amusing as well.

Then it's just down to practice, practice, practice :D

Hope this helps, and if need any firm links or pointers just ask, we
are a friendly bunch LOL.

Regards
Anthoni