Hello!

I'm developing an Android app with a web for GPS data handling. The
android app collects GPS data and then uploads them to a server (Java
Tomcat).

In the android app, the distance is calculated using the the
distanceTo-method in the android.location package (Location class) and
it seems to work fine.

But the problem is when I try do to the same in the web, using the
uploaded GPS data (I don't upload the distance between GPS position,
but latitude, longitude, altitude, time and speed). I still haven't
found an algorithm that calculate the distance between GPS positions
with the same result as the distanceTo-method. The best I have found
so far is this one:
http://www.gavaghan.org/blog/free-source-code/geodesy-library-vincentys-formula-java/.

Does anyone know how the distanceTo-method calculates the distance.

Best regards,
Patrick