I agree with you, static members don't have to be a manace regarding
GC, but they do carry the memory leaks danger if you don't treat them
well, i close the cursor and null the instance in onDestroy and
recreate it in onCreate.

However in a big complicated program with a lot of code it's a
needless hazard, i do agree to that.
Doesn't the extra service adds to the code complexity ? adds to the
accumulated application memory, after all it's also a component that
consumes resources.
I find it kind of frustrating that i cannot get instance of an
activity or one of it's inner classes without a static member, as i
said they live in the same memory space...