Yes, I forgot that ever since Java 5 (or maybe earlier?), the Java
Memory Model definition specifies that classes are ininitialized "just
in time"; i.e., not until they are first accessed.

I mulled this over for a while, and in the end, I still opted for code
generation. Although the code generator, itself, required a little bit
of work, the generated class with the static definitions is
straightforward and simpler to use than the nested static classes that
would be necessary when utilizing "just in time" initialization.

In any case, thank you very much for your thoughtful responses and
your useful suggestion.