After wrestling with this for several days and following quite a few
wrong suggestions, I found a solution that not only made a little
sense, more importantly it actually worked, assuming this problem is
occurring on a wireless connection.

Here's the source of this solution:

http://blog.creativeworkline.com/2010/03/android-emulator-cannot-resolve-dns.html

Bottom line: The emulator apparently uses the same DNS settings used
by the LAN card, which probably isn't going work if you're on a
wireless connection. Simply disable your LAN connection in Internet
Connections and suddenly everything's groovy.

Should've occurred to me when I noticed it worked fine on the company
network but not at all on wireless.

Hope this helps.

-Vaughn