I fixed this - this code is where the problem is:

            int bits = getBitLength();
            bits = (((bits % 8) != 0) ? (bits += (bits % 8)) : bits);

When I assigned the result of the expression in the second line to a
new variable instead of back to int bits, the problem went away.

The clue was in http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=2868
- may be the same kind of issue.

M.