Thanks Shane, that's pretty much what I thought. I did see some web
pages mention that the EU law would only apply to companies that had
sales of over 100,000 Euros, but it didn't seem definitive and I
couldn't find legal text supporting the 100,000 limit.

Google Checkout also makes it challenging to identify EU sales at all.
If I "download data to spreadsheet" from Google Checkout, the
transactions show amounts in US dollars and do not identify the
country. If I check off "Include more buyer and order information
columns", then I can get the country information, but results are
limited to 500 rows. Since I have sales of 200+ per day, it's a pretty
cumbersome process.

I think the EU law is pretty restrictive for smaller companies, so I
hope they make some changes in the future. If anyone can clarify the
100,000 limit that would be good to know.