I try to play a live stream on my android phone using the MediaPlayer
object. But I definitely see a black screen. Does anybody have any
experience with streaming on Android ?

Here is what I'm doing:
I broadcast a stream with Darwin streaming server (via
PlaylistBroadcast) to my Android phone. The stream is sent over RTP to
the IP of my device (unicast). A .sdp file describes my stream.

In my app, I try to play the stream with the following code where url
is "rtsp://server_ip/live.sdp"

private void playVideo(String url) {
        try {
                //media.setEnabled(false);

                if (player==null) {
                        //System.out.println("create MediaPlayer");
                        player=new MediaPlayer();
                        player.setScreenOnWhilePlaying(true);
                } else {
                        player.stop();
                        player.reset();
                }

                player.setDataSource(url);
                //holder.setFixedSize(320, 240);
                player.setDisplay(holder);

                player.setAudioStreamType(AudioManager.STREAM_MUSIC);
                player.setOnPreparedListener(this);
                player.prepareAsync();
                player.setOnBufferingUpdateListener(this);
                player.setOnCompletionListener(this);
        } catch (Throwable t) {
                System.out.println("Exception in media prep: "+t.toString());
        }
    }

public void onPrepared(MediaPlayer mp) {
                //System.out.println("onPrepared");

                int width=player.getVideoWidth();
                int height=player.getVideoHeight();

                if (width!=0 && height!=0) {
                         holder.setFixedSize(width, height);
                         player.start();
                }
}

I always have a black screen, buffering remains at 0%.
I checked that I can play this live stream on VLC and QT on a desktop,
and it works fine. If I request the same file via a direct RTSP
request (rtsp://server_IP/myVideo.mp4) the file plays correctly on my
android phone.

I also tried to request the .sdp file by an HTTP request (http://
server_IP/live.sdp) but the result is the same (black screen).

Does anybody have already succeeded in playing a live stream on an
android phone ?

Cheers
Jean