My solution was to create two different starter classes with different
packages.  One for the paid version and the other for the free
version.  Since the package name is used to identify the application
in the market.  You can use this to customize the app, by setting
properties in the different start classes.  I modified the generated
Ant file to switch between the paid/free versions.  I created a task
that uses regular expression replacements, identifying sections and
replacing the starting class name depending on what I am deploying in
the manifest.  You can even modify the XML layouts using this method.
Essentially pre-processing prior to compilation.  The R class is the
only issue, you need to make sure you include an * import for both
packages otherwise it won't work, and you will have to modify code
each time.  Also, Eclipse gets upset when you change things underneath
it after compiling the R class, you need to delete the generated
source directory.  This is the best solution I have come up with so
far, it's not great but it works for me and it is scripted.

Alex