Here is my custom toast.  I also toss in an image   Not sure if I ever
really use the context outside of my main class.  Its a hack job but then so
is most of my code.

public void showToast(String sayWhat, int imageid,int length,Context
context){
LayoutInflater inflater = getLayoutInflater();
View layout = inflater.inflate(R.layout.toast_layout,
                               (ViewGroup)
findViewById(R.id.toast_layout_root));

ImageView image = (ImageView) layout.findViewById(R.id.image);
image.setImageResource(imageid);
TextView text = (TextView) layout.findViewById(R.id.text);
text.setText(sayWhat);

Toast toast = new Toast(context);
toast.setGravity(Gravity.CENTER_VERTICAL, 0, 0);
if (length == 0){
toast.setDuration(Toast.LENGTH_LONG);
}else {
toast.setDuration(Toast.LENGTH_SHORT);
}
 toast.setView(layout);
toast.show();
 }

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 2:15 PM, TreKing <treking...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Gene R. <gurur...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The problem seems to be that the Service class does not inherit the
>> findViewById() method.
>>

> Services don't have an accompanying UI, so this makes sense.
>

>> How can one generate and display a custom Toast from a Service??
>>

> In your code you inflate a view - so why not call findViewById on that root
> view?
>
> Also, don't use getApplicationContext() ... like, ever.

Follow us on Twitter  @fuliginsoftware
Join the forums.
http://www.fuligin.com/forums