Yes, you can just use the nexus one with 2.1, is SIM-unlocked.
See here: http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/device.html

"If you want a SIM-unlocked phone, then you might consider either an
Android Dev Phone or the Google Nexus One. Both are SIM-unlocked so
that you can use them on any GSM network using a SIM card. The Android
Dev Phones also feature an unlocked bootloader so you can install
custom system images (great for developing and installing custom
versions of the Android platform)"

You can also root the Nexus One though.