hi ,

the signal strength is broadcasted to you app.
I am using it like this:

    public final PhoneStateListener mPhoneStateListener = new
PhoneStateListener() {
        @Override
        public void onSignalStrengthChanged(int asu) {
             ..... //receive the new signal strength

and you initialize the listener like this

((TelephonyManager)context.getSystemService(Context.TELEPHONY_SERVICE))
        .listen(mPhoneStateListener,
                 PhoneStateListener.LISTEN_SIGNAL_STRENGTH);