I have an application that contains several activities - call them A,
B, C and D. Normally the user will launch activity A, then go to
activity B, then C, then D. All activities have launchMode =
"standard" so that if the user switch to another app or return to home
screen, he can go back to where he left off by pressing the
application icon on launcher or home screen.

Most of the time the application works fine, but if the user start the
app from somewhere other than the launcher / home screen (e.g.
upgrading the app Android Market then press "Open"), the launch
behavior becomes very strange. Now if the user return to the home
screen, then press the application icon again, it will start a new
instance of activity A and put it on top of the stack. If the user
continue to navigate the app, the activity stack will become something
like A -> B -> C -> A -> B. I have verified this by running "adb shell
dumpsys activity".

This behavior will persist until the application completely exits
(i.e. no more activities in the stack), until then the activities will
keep accumulating in the stack. As the activities are quite graphic
intensive, the application will run out of memory when there are ~15
levels of activities.

So... is there a way to prevent this behavior? I want the launcher
icon always get back to the activity where the user left off, or start
the default activity if the application wasn't running. I have tried
the various launch modes but seems none of them fits this description.